Welcome to MBPost!  -
UNESCO World heritage sites of Piedmont
Area/Bike Park
Contribute 
 
Children 
 
 
Geography

UNESCO World heritage sites of Piedmont

 
<font color=blue>UNESCO</font> World heritage sites of Piedmont

Page Type: Area/Bike Park

Location: Turin, Italy, Europe

Lat/Lon: 45.06885°N / 7.50823°E

Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

 

Page By: chaberton

Created/Edited: Jun 14, 2013 / Jun 14, 2013

Object ID: 287189

Hits: 2918 

Page Score: 72.08%  - 2 Votes 

Vote: Log in to vote

 

Preamble

 
The Piedmont.
Piedmont Map



With this page I try to best describe some of the most interesting historical sites in Piedmont.

It is the royal palaces built by the Savoy over the centuries.

Their characteristic is to be surrounded by majestic parks, some of which you can ride with the bike (Stupinigi-Venaria-The Mandria), others just walk (Racconigi).

If you happen to come in Piedmont, I sincerely hope that you have the time to visit these wonderful and majestic museums with their parks which are veritable natural paradise.

Racconigi

History
The first records of the castle are from around the year 1000, when Bernardino of Susa rebuilt an ancient manor, leaving it to Cistercian monks.
The castle was a possession of the margraves of Saluzzo and others starting in the 13th century, and in the 16th century was acquired by the House of Savoy. In 1630, Duke Charles Emmanuel I granted it to his nephew Thomas Francis, Prince of Carignano, founder of the Savoy-Carignano line. At this time, the castle was a high brick moated fortress with a square plan, four corner towers and a tall donjon (mastio) on one side.



Architecture

 
Racconigi Scale Model
Scale Model
Emanuele Filiberto, Prince of Carignano, Tommaso's son, in the late 17th century, commissioned Guarino Guarini to transform the fortress into a pleasure residence. The architect erected the current central section where the court was, adding a pagoda-like roof. The two northern towers were replaced by pavilions with dome roof and square plan, provided with white marble lanterns. The gardens were also created.
In the late 18th century, Ludovico Luigi Vittorio of Carignano ordered a renovation of the interiors, enlarging the two southern towers, adding stucco and other neoclassical decoration; he also commissioned a new entrance, with 4 Corinthian columns and a triangular fronton, and the great staircase.

The Park with the big lake

Charles Albert, & Carignano who eventually became King of Sardinia, further enlarged and embellished the castle to represent the splendour of the newly acquired reign. His court architect Ernesto Melano expanded the ancient square structure around the central section, added two side buildings connected to the façade pavilions, as well as another staircase on the southern side.

The lake and the dovecote.
The lake and the dovecote


Here the last King of Italy, Umberto II, was born in 1904. Having received the castle as a wedding present in 1930, he proceeded to install in it the family gallery of some 3,000 paintings and historical documents regarding the Shroud of Turin.

Landscape park

Emmanuel Philiberto created a magnificent wide park in the jardin à la française style that opens for the castle's northwards view. It was designed by the renowned 17th century by the French landscape architect André Le Notre, known to him for designing the gardens of Versailles radiating from Château de Versailles.



In the late 18th century the English Landscape garden style was introduced, Pelagio Palagi erected a series of small structures along the lake; such as the Doric little Temple, the Gothic style chapel, and other landscape elements. A "Russian dacha," built to honour tsar Nicholas II of Russia's visit to Piedmont in order to sign the Racconigi Bargain, was also created in the landscape park.

The royal palaces for holidays
The Kingdom of Italy (1861 - 1946)

After the death of Charles Albert, the summer residence was visited by princes less frequently: it reduced the long summer holidays, which gave way to fleeting visits. Racconigi was the scene of some celebrations even at the end of the nineteenth century, but only after the death of Umberto I, in 1900, the residence shooting vitality for the initiatives of the new royal couple.

 
She is very rare.
The Black Stork in his Nest
 
A paradise for Storks.
A Paradise for Storks
























The castle reverted to a holiday residence habitually frequented almost every year by Vittorio Emanuele III and Elena of Montenegro, and was transformed according to the modern needs of the time: there appeared heating systems, bathrooms, electricity, new pumps for the supply of drinking water on each floor; spread radios and record players, a photo lab was built for the exclusive use of the king and queen, restoration works were realized in some rooms on the main floors.

The palace was so prepared to receive adequately prestigious guests visiting the sovereigns: in 1909 it hosted the Russian Tsar Nicholas II, and in 1918 the parents of Queen Elena. In 1904 was born in the residence of the last king of Italy, Umberto II.
The last act of great solemnity was the celebration, in 1925, of the marriage of Philip of Hesse and Mafalda of Savoy, the princess who tragically died in the extermination camp of Buchenwald.

Getting There.

The city of Racconigi can be reached:

By train: Turin - Racconigi - Cuneo and Turin - Racconigi - Savona.
Every 30 minutes there is a train that runs along the route Turin - Racconigi Racconigi - Turin in 35 minutes.
In addition, from Nice Marittima, via Breil - Cuneo or via Ventimiglia. From Asti and Alba (via Bra - Cavallermaggiore). From Saluzzo, via Savigliano.

By car: A6 motorway exit: Carmagnola continue to Racconigi

Turin South ring road: exit La Loggia (via Carignano) or Moncalieri (via Villastellone, Carmagnola)
From Montgenevre - Sestriere - Fenestrelle - ring Pinerolo: Provincial road Vigone - Pancalieri - Casalgrasso - Racconigi
From Asti - Sunrise: Bra direction, then turn off for Pollenzo - Marene
Axis Cuneo - Turin, the city is crossed by the Regional Road 20 of the Tenda Pass

Parking: free in front of the castle and the square of Via General Dalla Chiesa, for coaches: parking area at the river Maira (follow signs: Murello - Casalgrasso, and the area is located just before the bridge, on the left).

Camper: Camper Service area equipped for loading / unloading at the Maira river.





Entrance and timetables

CASTLE:

E'visitabile from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 to 18.20.
Closed on Mondays.

Entrance fee: the price is € 5.00
50% discount: for boys and girls 18 - 25 years
Free for EU citizens under 18 and over 65 years, teachers and students of the Faculty of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, the holders of the card Museums Piedmont - Turin.

VISITORS OCCASIONAL
Access to the castle is planned with visits accompanied by supervisory personnel in groups of up to 25 people.
From Tuesday to Friday the visit takes place at scheduled times set: 9.00, 10.30, 12.00, 14.00, 15.30, 17.00 18.20.
On Saturdays and Sundays departure times of the visits were intensified in relation to the influx of the public.
These inputs are reserved for occasional visitors and are not bookable.

PARK
The Park Royal Racconigi Castle is open to the public, roughly the last weekend of March until the last of October.

It is open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 to 19 (ticket office closes an hour earlier).
With the winter time, time is 10-18 (ticket office closes an hour earlier).
Closed on Mondays.
Please note that schedules are subject to change, due to the needs of the site and in relation to weather conditions. In the event of adverse weather conditions, the park may be closed without notice.

Entrance fee: the price is € 2.00
50% discount: for boys and girls 18 - 25 years
Free for EU citizens under 18 and over 65 years, teachers and students of the Faculty of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, the holders of the card Museums Piedmont - Turin.



Stupinigi

The Royal hunting lodge of Stupinigi.

A long, stately driveway, lined with farms and stables, leading from Turin to the Hunting Palace of Stupinigi, topped by the statue of the "Deer" by Francesco Ladatte (1766), now replaced by a copy, surrounded by a park of over 150,000 square meters .

Already in the Middle Ages was in the location a small castle. The properties varied over the centuries, but returned in 1564, the Savoy that they ran through the Mauritian Order, whose Grand Master was the Duke himself. It was mainly for Vittorio Amedeo II if the Stupinigi Palace became one of the jewels of the Residences of the time.

The Royal Hunting Palace.
 


Construction began in 1729 and designed by Filippo Juvarra, continued by Benedetto Alfieri, John Thomas and Louis Prunotto Bo. The first hunt in the woods around Stupinigi took place in 1731, and again in the eighteenth century, the complex was expanded with the addition of stables and agricultural buildings. Even Napoleon stayed there in May 1805, before traveling to Milan to be crowned emperor. In 1832 the Building again became the property of the royal family, then briefly the Italian State Property, to be returned, in 1925, with neighboring estates Order of St. Maurice.

The heart of the residence is the large oval room equipped with balconies trending "concave / convex" strongly suggestive. From the main hall depart four lower arms to form a cross of St. Andrew, where are the real and apartments for guests.

The themes of the decoration of the rooms are a hymn to the practice of hunting and the sumptuousness of the details, the rich testimonies of Italian Rococo style furniture, precious materials are evidence of the splendor and sophistication of the court.


Getting there and tickets

Piazza Principe Amedeo, 7
10042 Stupinigi, TO) Tel 011-3582580 011-3581220Fax


Opening period: from 15 March to 31 October 2013Orari visit: • Tuesday to Friday from 10.00 to 17.30 (last entrance and ticket office closes at 17.00)
• Saturday and Sunday from 10.00 to 18.30 (last entrance and ticket office closes at 18.00)
Closed: every Monday

email
• For visits, activities and initiatives: stupinigi@ordinemauriziano.it

Full price: 12.00 Euro
Reduced price: 8.00 Euro
Schools (nursery, primary and secondary): 5.00 Euro


Carignano Royal Palace

Palazzo Carignano, designed in the second half of the seventeenth century by Guarino Guarini, is a historic building in the center of Turin, has always been considered one of the finest examples of European Baroque. The building, particularly linked to the history of Italian Risorgimento, was initially intended to host the first Subalpine Parliament then the Council of State.

After more than half a century, reopened to the public the Apartments baroque, certainly the most spectacular part of the palace. With the restoration of these environments, which had hosted among other things, the study of the Count of Cavour, on the occasion of the celebrations of the unification of Italy was born in Turin, a new museum which includes: apartment South, also known as " Apartment principles "and famous for the splendor of the wood paneling and mirrors that cover the walls, the apartment Midnight, the beautiful grand staircase that leads to the Subalpine Parliament and visible in the path. In addition to these environments, can be visited also some areas have always been closed to the public and therefore somehow 'secret', such as spiral staircases of Piazza Carignano and atmospheric basement.


Address: Academy of Sciences, 5, Turin


Phone: 011 562 3719

Information and reservations
Hours
From Tuesday to Sunday from 9.30 to 19.00,
(Ticket office closes at 18)
Closed on Mondays.

TicketsFull: € 10,00;
Reduced: € 8.00, for more than 65 years, groups of over 15 people, ticket holders of the Museum of the Risorgimento and affiliated groups;
Special reduced price: € 4,00 for schools and children under 18 years;
Free for Torino + Piemonte Card holders and subscribers, 2011, children under 6 years, two teachers per class, disabled with an escort.

How to visit
Access to the exhibition areas is programmed with guided tours at set times every 30 minutes for up to 25 people. And 'reservations are recommended.
The guided tour and the reservation service is free of charge, as already included in the entry fee.

Venaria Royal Palace

Reggia di Venaria Reale
Piazza della Repubblica 4, Venaria Reale (TO) - ITALY

La Venaria Reale ("all inclusive")

This input provides:

Royal Palace with path Theatre History and Magnificence, exhibitions, Music at Court;
all the shows this year;
Gardens (Park and Park high low) with Potager Royal, contemporary art installations, Fantacasino, days from the King;
Water Theatre of Deer Fountain
• 20 €
• 39 € ("FAMILY PACKAGE": 2 adults + up to 3 under 18 years old)


La Venaria Reale palace of pleasures

"Of all the marvelous residences of pleasure, in which His Royal Highness the Duke of Savoy usually go to restore strength, the most important and worthy of a visit is what is called Venaria Reale, located over three miles from Turin. It was the Duke Carlo Emanuele II who gave it this name because he felt that this was an area where you would be able to hunt in the style of kings. "

So the Theatrum Sabaudiae, a monumental work printed in 142 illustrated plates, which since 1682 has the magnificence of the domains and the Savoy residences. The tone of the propaganda are used with the taste of the show to surprise the powerful in Europe and witness the glory of a family that will emerge as yet Ducal Royal.

La Venaria Reale is one of the most significant examples of the magnificence of the architecture of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

The Palace, which has about 110,000 square meters, boasts some of the finest examples of Baroque universal: the enchanting scenery of the Hall of Diana designed by Amedeo di Castellamonte, the solemnity of the Great Gallery and the Chapel of St. Hubert with the 'immense complex of Juvarra Stables, eighteenth-century works by Filippo Juvarra, the lavish decorations together with the evocative setting of court life of Peter Greenaway, provide the ideal setting of the Theatre of History and Magnificence, the exhibition dedicated to the Savoy that accompanies the visitor through nearly 2,000 meters, between the basement and main floor of the palace.

Images

Bike in the City.The Royal Palace.The Royal Hunting Palace.<font color=blue>Stupinigi</font>The Piedmont.La Venaria RealeRacconigi Royal Palace
Racconigi Scale ModelRoyal Park MapThe lake and the dovecote.A great old has fallen!A paradise for Storks.She is very rare.Unfortunately...no bikers in this Park!