Welcome to MBPost!  -
Valentino the Green Lung of the city
Area/Bike Park
Contribute 
 
Children 
 
Geography
Parents 
Areas & Bike Parks
 

Valentino the Green Lung of the city

  Featured on the Front Page
<font color=red>Valentino</font> the <font color=limegreen>Green Lung</font> of the city

Page Type: Area/Bike Park

Location: Europe

Lat/Lon: 45.05345°N / 7.68513°E

Trail Type: Touring

Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

 

Page By: chaberton

Created/Edited: Oct 31, 2013 / Nov 14, 2013

Object ID: 288741

Hits: 3354 

Page Score: 71.06%  - 1 Votes 

Vote: Log in to vote

 

The " Valentino"

The Valentino Park is the public park par excellence of Turin.
Situated along the banks of the river Po is located, such as Turin, diagonally from north-east to south-west.

It covers an area of 421,000 m2.

It is the ideal place for lovers of cycling, which can cycle safely a few hundred meters from the chaotic traffic of Turin.

Immersed in the lush greenery of flowers and plants along the silvery ribbon of waters of main Italian river (PO), discovering along the majestic palaces and beautiful castles.



History

The Valentino City Park is the most famous and oldest public park in the city.

It is certainly the most well-known city park and was taken as a symbol of the city like the Mole Antonelliana (Cinema Museum).

Superbly located, not far from the center ( 1 km from the railway station of Porta Nuova) , is located along the left bank of the Po, between the monumental bridges Umberto I (Vittorio Emanuele II Street ) and Isabella (Dante Street) , and in view of the hill.

The park has a remarkable heritage trees , an interesting bird life , many points of interest , cycling , walking and opportunities for sport and leisure.

Its origins can be traced back to very ancient origin : since the Middle Ages , in fact, was in use in the area the name " Valentino " , of unknown origin, which was from 600 to indicate the Savoy castle ( Valentino Castle, a Residences of the Royal House of Savoy, UNESCO World Heritage Site ) and the neighboring area.

The Valentino Park, although not yet in the public service , he had a first realization in 1630 , designed by Carlo di Castellamonte Cognengo , then it was continued until 1660 by his son Amedeo. But in the second half of 800, with the demolition of the walls built by Napoleon, who begins a new phase for Urban Torino, characterized by strong population growth, construction activity , new need for green leisure .

It is at this time that comes public parks in the modern sense , and the City , to make a public walk, think about the area around the Valentino Castle. The work was started in 1863-1864 , part of the redesign of the park by the French architect Barillet -Deschamps , inspired by the principles of landscaped grounds , or "English" , achieves a better arrangement of avenues , groves , valleys artificial , a small riding and a pond, then dried , which was used in winter as a " skating rink ".

Even before its completion , the park became the frame of large national and international exhibitions , which were held from 1829 to 1961 . In Italian General Exhibition of 1884 was created the so-called medieval village , or the reconstruction of a full glimpse of the main architectural and stylistic features of the works of the Piedmont and Val d' Aosta the Middle Ages , with lots of Rocca visited.

After the Exhibition of 1911, the park had settled on its current size. In particular, in 1961 was the scene of celebrations for the centenary of the Unification of Italy , and on that occasion, between the medieval village ( and the complex of Turin Exhibition , was redesigned and produced a pleasant flowery valley crossed by streams and with many flower beds , realizing the Rock Garden , in this area in 1965 was built the Rose Garden, then expanded at the flower show Flor '92 .

The Map


Visualizza The Green Lung of the City in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori

Items of interest

Inside the park:

-Valentino Castle (seat of the Faculty of Architecture at the Politecnico di Torino),
-Medieval Village,
-Rock Garden, Botanical Garden of the University of Turin,
-Twelve Months Fountain, Fontana Luminosa, Palazzina della Promoter of Fine Arts

The heritage trees and vegetation

In the Valentino park are about 1800 tall trees: poplar, willow, beech, hornbeam, maple, linden, hackberry, ginkgo biloba, redwoods, sycamores, pterocarie, elms and oaks.

Of these four species we have highlighted certain monumental specimens.
About half the area of the park is intended to lawn, during the year, there are the blooms: various bulbous, (about 100,000 seedlings) in spring, seasonal summer, chrysanthemums in autumn, flowers suitable for freezing in winter.

Flowering trees and a few thousand rose bushes complete the color palette of the Park.

Valentino   Bateau Mouche
The " Bateau Mouche "

The Medieval Village

 
Plan 1
Medioeval Village


The Medieval Village

The singular achievement of the medieval village was a product of the positivist culture prevailing in the last quarter of the nineteenth century , but also reflected the attention to the ancient artifact , the material culture of the Middle Ages.

The enormous work of retrieval and reproduction of models proceeded at an accelerated pace : December 12, 1882 they laid the first stone of the fortress (the castle) , 6 June 1883 they laid the first stone of the village on 27 April 1884, the village was opened in the presence of the kings of Italy , Umberto and Margherita of Savoy .

the Village

Within the battlements , over the drawbridge , the buildings of the village one another along the road, in a very suggestive way . They reproduce buildings in Piedmont and Valle d'Aosta , combined to form an inhabited animated by the workshops. From the fountain to the roof of the oven for the bread, from the laboratory of the blacksmith , the hospice to accommodate the pilgrims . Under the porch of the house Bussoleno is set up a paper mill , where the ancient pile hammers to unravel rags for paper. Behind the facade of the church a few years ago set up an exhibition hall , where , at certain periods, will provide the public exhibitions and temporary displays .

The Castle

It is the focal point, higher than the location of the village. And ' the fortified manor house , with sumptuous rooms full of furniture, furnishings , fabrics, to show the uses of life of the fifteenth century . The armor, weapons, pastimes left in the dormitory of the men -at-arms , the dining room , the kitchen, offering the idea really " throbbing and speaking" of a Savoyard castle of the fifteenth century. Beyond the throne room , where the parade Prodi and Heroines , the bedroom is striking for the large canopy embroidered curtains , the chapel closes the path .

The Valentino Castle

 
Plan 2
The Castle


In the green heart of the nineteenth-century park of Turin, the Valentino Savoy Castle has known over the centuries different uses before becoming the Faculty of Architecture of the Polytechnic of Turin.

Already suburban riverside residence in 500, reached its heyday under Christine of France, before the Regent of Savoy, who chose it as representative palace and enlarged according to the French taste and promoting the rich decoration of the rooms on the main floor.

At his death, he died the echo of the parties that the Madama Reale was used to organize and a few decades later became the seat of one of the side gardens of the Botanical Garden of the University, can still be visited.

During the nineteenth century the castle was undergoing important changes, related to the Exhibition of 1858 promoted by Cavour.

the Botanical Garden

"Signs" of a university Botanical Garden in Piedmont , dating back to 1560.

The establishment of the new Royal Garden is realized in 1729 with Vittorio Amedeo II as part of the reorganization of the University.

The area of the Garden was initially of about 7000 square meters, divided into two rectangular areas , each with a central basin , divided into geometric beds .

In the second half of the eighteenth century were of great importance floristic studies : the second Director Vitaliano Donati , he made numerous explorations in Piedmont and abroad , and his successor , Charles Allioni author of "Flora foothills " was one of the most importranti of European scholars ' era. .

In the first half dell'1800 in the garden was set up a central avenue and a third tank was built : some tree specimens of that period still thrive today (Tilia tomentosa and Liriodendron tulipifera ) .

In the same period was set , sull'appezzamento donated in 1796 by Vittorio Amedeo III , a " grove " of romantic taste . Under the direction of the various directors continued the expansion of the collections alive in the ground and in the greenhouses that were gradually built. The cultivated species arrived with GGMoris to 12000 and this was the heyday for live collections .

With the changing of the address of botanical studies , at the end of 1800 , the Garden went missing space and means for the benefit of new laboratories and classrooms . Already since 1881 the construction of the Great Hall , laboratories and larger premises for the Herbarium led to the dismantling of the greenhouses in the central part of the building , other reductions were imposed in 1929 for the construction of classrooms for the Pharmaceutical Botany and for the Library .

And ' story today the further dismantling of greenhouses West Wing for the construction of the Institute of Special Botany and Veterinary classrooms for tutorials.

A "new" positive in 1962-63 was the establishment of a Alpineto where in niches , cracks and leachate is recreated microenvironments for the cultivation of alpine species horizon .

In recent years several greenhouses were built for collections of succulent plants .

Fountain of months (and Seasons)

 
The Fountain of Months & Seasons
The Fountain


Designed by Carlo Ceppi, around the large oval tub are placed allegorical statues, Art Nouveau, depicting the twelve months and the four seasons of the year.

At the top, a large group of sculptures, the work of several artists, depicts the four rivers that flow through Turin Po, Dora Riparia, Stura and Sangone.

The fountain was inaugurated to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Albertine Statute, was one of the main attractions of the National Exposition of 1898.

the Submarine

 
The Submarine in the middle of the Town
The Submarine


At the headquarters of the National Sailors of Italy you can visit one of the few historical and naval exhibits in large preserved in Italy .

This is the falsatorre and the central part of the hull of the submarine " Andrea Provana ," so named in honor of Admiral Piedmontese who took part in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571 .

The submarine , which belongs to the class Barbarigo , was launched in yards Fiat San Giorgio di La Spezia January 27, 1918 and delivered to the Navy on September 10 of that year.

Made on a project of Staff of Naval Engineers Cesare Laurenti , this type of boat was characterized to be heavy , safe and reliable , capable of remarkable performance in terms of speed and range , in terms of operations penalized only in very low depth . A factor in the design phase, it was not considered of great importance .

For the arrival of the armistice , the submarine Provana did not participate in actions during the First World War , but played a useful and intense training activities awaiting entry into service of the new boats .

The central part of the submarine arrived in Turin on the occasion of the exhibition of the Royal Navy , which was organized as part of the International Day in 1928 to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the victory of the Great War , and was placed in the current location in 1933.

The fountain was inaugurated to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Albertine Statute, was one of the main attractions of the National Exposition of 1898.

The Area (VIDEO)

VALENTINO from chaberton on Vimeo.

November 1903 in the Park



Images

Fireworks.The Po River.The Po River.Panorama.Valentino " Bateau Mouche"National Automobile Museum TurinThe River, the Town, the Park.
The Submarine in the middle of the TownThe Fountain of Months & SeasonsPlan 1Plan 2November 1903