This is a out and back mountain ride. Ascending the highest mountain in Wales at 3154ft. It is a good hard ascent to the summit of 4.5 miles taking about 2 hrs. The vistas are 360 degree with fantstic views of The Snowdon range and Anglesey. This is a potentially sensitive ride so it is important to consider others as it is a very popular mountain. Do not underestimate this mountain it has claimed many lives.
From Llanberis head out on the A4086 and you will see parking on the right. The trail starts 200yds back on a steep metalled road on the left (OS SH 58297 59664) starting at 377ft.
1. Ascend up this very steep road which eventually passes a pub and leads to a gate on the left.
2. Pass through the gate and climb on this trail. There is a combination of ridable and tough rocky sections which may need to be walked depending on your strength and stamina.
3. Proceed on the trail which passes alongside the mountain railway. After 2 miles you reach the half way station and pass under the track.
4. The climb continues and bears off to the left and climbs even more steeply where you will need to walk!!. After 3.12 miles you pass under the railway line again, bearing right and climb very steeply up some scree and along the ridge.
5. Continue with the long push and occassional ride up to the summit. Get on the trig. point and look at the view if you are lucky and there is no cloud!!
6. Turn round and enjoy the blast of a descent. Loads of fun. Watch for walkers. (See when to bike)
Get on the A55 exit at the junction signed Bethesda and head to Llanberis on the B4366, turn left at the roundabout onto the B4547. Continue to the junction and turn left onto the A4086 and into Llanberis. Pass through the town. About 400yds on the right is a very steep road, this is the way up and onto the trail. Pass this and park about 400yds on the right in a lay by.
When to Bike
There is a voluntary ban on MTBing on Snowdon in the summer months between May and Sept. There are grave concerns about the sport see: - http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/campaigning/offroad/snowdon.html for the debate!! The nutters are spoiling it for the majority as usual.
You can ride it before 10am or after 5:00pm in the summer and anytime in the winter. Summer is the best time to do if the weather is good. For info see:- http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm
As with any high mountain ride there are real dangers. Always take the correct gear, map, waterproofs etc and PLEASE, PLEASE consider others on the way down or we will get banned from this wonderful mountain.